Provisional Licence

To get your first provisional driving licence online for a car, motorcycle or moped you need to:

  • be a resident of Great Britain (there’s a different service inNorthern Ireland)

  • meet the minimum age requirement

  • meet the minimum eyesight requirement

  • not be prevented from driving for any reason

  • pay £50 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card

  • have a valid UK passport or other form of identity

  • have your National Insurance number if known

  • provide addresses where you’ve lived for the last 3 years

You can apply up to 3 months before you can start driving. You can normally start driving on your 17th birthday if you want to drive a car and your 16th birthday if you want to drive a motorcycle or moped.

If you’re getting the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) you can drive at 16.

Applying for provisional entitlement for larger vehicles, minibuses and buses

If you currently hold a valid full licence and want to add provisional entitlement to drive large vehicles, minibuses and buses you must complete the application form DL1 and the medical report form DLM1. These are available from main Post Office® branches, local vehicle licensing offices or MOT centres.

The DLM1 must be completed by a doctor and you should ensure that all the relevant questions are answered. The doctor will normally charge you for completing the report and those registered for VAT are also required to charge the current rate on top of their fee.

Following a change in driver licensing regulations, anyone who is under insulin control for their diabetes or has diabetes treated by tablets in the Sulphonylurea or Glinide class, may apply for or renew vocational entitlements to drive categories C1, C1E, D1, D1E, C, CE, D or DE.

There are three stages you need to go through when applying for or renewing the vocational entitlements shown above. Details of these stages can be found at the link below:

If you are applying for a passenger-carrying vehicle entitlement (PCV), that is minibuses or buses, a Basic Disclosure Certificate is also required. Further information on the Basic Disclosure Certificate is available at the link below:

You will also need to send a passport style colour photograph, your current driving licence and the fee of £20*


Select Round-n-About to put you on the road to success

Areas Covered

Driving tuition is offered in and around the Newcastle area, however other areas may be possible so please contact us for details.

New Practical Test

A change to the driving test will be introduced from 4th December 2017. Click on the page link above For more details

Contact Us

Name (required)

Email (required)

Phone Number